Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Eva Olsson's speech

''I only saw my mother once before she was sent to the left towards the gas chambers'' she said. "My worst regret about this is I didn't tell her I loved her before she left" she added. Eva Olsson came to our school yesterday to speak to us about the astonishing experiences she had when she was at Auschwitz concentration camp in Germany. Some points that I'm going to tell you today about the Holocaust are the living conditions at Auschwitz, the importance of family when you are going through awful times and the unfairness of the whole event for the Jewish people.

The living conditions at Aushwitz were simply unbelievably devastating. Some examples of this were when they had to sleep inside beds that were filled with dead bodies of their friends and when they got the soup that had hair and bones in it from dead bodies. This is horrible because it would taste terrible and it was the only thing they got to eat. They had to eat it or they would have died a lot more quickly. So overall the food that they served could kill you over time.

The importance of family when you are in tough times is so important because it will make you feel more secure and safe. In this situation you have to be close to your family or you would feel completely hopeless. In Eva's situation she didn't know that she was going to be tortured so she wasn't close to her family at the time. The worst thing is that her whole family died except for her sister and this was all happening and she didn't know it. I would never want this to happen to me or to anybody else.

The whole event was incredibly unfair for the Jewish people because they did nothing wrong and the Germans had no reason to kill and torture them. An unthinkable thing that the Germans did to the Jews was they numbered them as if they were animals and not equal human beings.It is amazing that any Jewish person survived considering the way that they were treated. If I were a Jewish person in a concentration camp I don't know what I would do.

"What was the worst experience you had out of this event" was one of the questions asked after the speech and the reply from Eva was "the day I lost my mother". Can you imagine having your mother murdered for doing nothing wrong. I couldn't imagine this. Could you?


I hope this sort of event never happens to anybody ever again because this was horrible and no other human being should ever be treated that way again. Eva's speech really moved me and I hoped it moved everybody else in the chapel.



No comments:

Post a Comment