Saturday, January 16, 2010

H Is For Haiti

"The Red Cross reports that there are an estimated 50,000 deaths in Haiti at this moment" the reporter said in grief. When I heard about the tragedy that happened in Haiti I was astonished. I thought oh it's just another earthquake but then I heard that it was a 7 on the Richter scale. My points about Haita are some facts about Haita before the earthquake, some points about Haita after the earthquake and my opinion and perspective on what happened.

Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world even before the earthquake. With a population of 8,300,000 nearly 80 percent of people live in poverty there. So that means that 6,640,000 people in there country live in poverty. That's amazing because out of 33,331,389 people in Canada 3.4 million of them live in poverty. That means that 10 percent of Canadians live in poverty which is a big difference than Haiti. The important thing to remember is that this is before the earthquake not after so those numbers have risen. All Canadians are lucky that they don't live in a country that is bogged down by poverty.

"Covered in concrete dust the little ghost appeared to be dead until his bright 5 year old eyes broke his powdery face" Les Perreaux reports. This is what was on the front page of the Globe and Mail this morning. This boy was found under some rubble and was thought to be dead. This is just one of the reasons you should donate money to Haiti because they need it more than ever right now. As I said, 50,000 people dead and many more wounded and homeless. This earthquake is the biggest earthquake that has ever happened in the southern hemisphere.If you look at any picture of people in Haiti they are all thin and starving. The worst thing about this earthquake was that it happened in Haiti because Haiti is rebuilding and this destroyed their hopes of becoming a 2nd world country. They say that you should send money because the airport is too small to receive any more planes or supplies. My first thought was why don't they just send helicopters to transport the supplies but they didn't think of that, which is crazy.

My perspective on what happened is this: that this event is one of the worst I've seen in my life and that I believe that we should be dropping supplies over Haiti instead of landing planes and trying to transport the supplies. There's no point sending a ton of supplies over to Haiti when half of them don't even get to the people.I understand that it was huge panic when they were sending over the supplies so they didn't think of how they were going to get there. The governments around the world should just drop supplies and then have police and helpers distribute them to the people.

I don't think that you can say that you've ever seen a bigger natural disaster than this one. I mean the tsunami of Indonesia or the hurricane of New Orleans were horrible but this brought it to a whole new level. 50,000 people dead and many more injured. These are the numbers before the search for survivors ended so therefore the numbers would have gone up. I'm donating money. Are you?

I hope that the situation gets better over in Haiti but all I need to say is that I'm very luckt that I don't live in Haiti and I hope that Canadians come together and donate enough money to rebuild the country. My life lesson is that natural disasters unfortuantely happen and that humans have to come together to raise money to help this cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment